Follow several Michiana women who are ready to improve their health with the Go Red BetterU Heart Healthy Makeover Challenge. They will address their unique health obstacles as they take the 12-week challenge. By using BetterU, a free online tool that provides resources and tools, and receiving support from a team of experts, the women will be on their way to leading longer, healthier lives. Why not join BetterU today so you, too, can become a BetterU!

Friday, March 29, 2013

One Word

No matter what it is you want to achieve, there is one question you can ask yourself to get to the core fundamentals of your goal and massively increase your motivation.
That question is simply, “Why?”


Here we are at the midpoint of the Better U Challenge, 6 weeks in and 6 to go. Now is the time for a little reflection; as the famous statement goes from the movie Mission Impossible, "Your mission, should you choose to accept it" is to put into one single word what success means to you, or in other words "your why?"  

Just one word, not an essay, a paragraph, or even a sentence, just one word.  One word that's personal for you. One word with meaning and depth that goes to the core of answering the question of "why be healthy and fit for the rest of my life? One word to motivate, inspire and direct your actions as you move forward. One word that's bigger than you, and temptation to lose direction. One word to hold you accountable.  

The assignment is to select the all omnipotent “one word”, write it down on multiple index cards then keep it in front of you every day to infuse you with inspiration to stay true to your "one word" mission.  Where to put this power word? Where you will see it often for example, on the refrigerator door, bathroom mirror and / or car dash board. 

The question "What is your one word?"
"One word" ... shared with us at the midpoint BetterU Challenge Coaching session; 

Grace, Communication, Dance, Adaptive, Confidence, Peace, Family, Thrive, Strength

In one word, what would best describe your "why" to provide you with a clear vision and infuse strength to move you forward as you travel down the torturous road to better health?

For me it's "100". What does 100 mean to me? 
It's the number of years I plan on spending on this earth, my life's duration. It's not just living to 100 I am focused and moving towards. It's 100 plus health, longevity, vitality, and everything that goes with it. It's 100 plus being active, free to go and do what makes me happy for those around me.  It's 100 plus continuing to give back to the community through volunteering my time and knowledge to improve the lives of others by helping them get healthier. It's 100 plus being with the grand kids playing in the park, holding their hand on their first day of school, and discussing what's important in life with them. It's 100 plus so much more I have even yet to discover.

Where do I see 100? I see 100 everywhere I look, in every decision, every choice, every day of my life.  I see 100 in every food I eat or don't eat and activity I do or don't do. I see 100 in the eyes of my family, friends and those I care about.

When do I lose sight of my "one word"? When I make unhealthy food choices, forget or don't make time to exercise, stay up at night too late, don't get enough sleep, and become "stressed out" too often. I mainly forget about my one word when I forgot about me. I forgot about what's really important in my life; those I care about and care about me.  Then I think with regret, I am once again lost in the things of life  .... I look up and see on the door of my refrigerator,”100" on the crumpled and stained index care and remember.....

What's your "why" you "one word" what does it mean to you and those you care about around you?

Your partner in health,






Cindy Cohen RN
C2 Your Health LLC

A special thank you goes to Rustin Dyer, Clinical Supervisor Cardiac Rehab, Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center, Dyer Coaching Services  for providing the "one word" assignment. 

No comments: