Follow several Michiana women who are ready to improve their health with the Go Red BetterU Heart Healthy Makeover Challenge. They will address their unique health obstacles as they take the 12-week challenge. By using BetterU, a free online tool that provides resources and tools, and receiving support from a team of experts, the women will be on their way to leading longer, healthier lives. Why not join BetterU today so you, too, can become a BetterU!

Friday, March 21, 2014

5 Weeks!

It's amazing what changes can take place in 5 short weeks when you have your mind set and a supportive team to keep you motivated! Within these last 5 weeks, I've made quite a few changes in my life. The biggest change would be my physical activity. Prior to January 20 (I started a few weeks before the official kick-off – whole different story), I could have counted the number of times that I had worked out in all of 2013 on one hand. Honest. Sure I was somewhat active; I wasn't lying around on the couch all day and I do have a small child to keep up with - but nothing structured, planned, and purposeful. And certainly not 150 minutes a week. Since then, I have successfully worked out 5 days a week, for a minimum of 30 minutes each day! It still isn’t easy. Each night I have to force myself down stairs. I try to come up with any excuse possible to make it okay for me to skip a night. Sometimes I am successful at talking myself out of exercising…like last night. But when I miss a night, I know that I have to make it up on one of my ‘off nights’. I guess that’s called being flexible?

Some things that I need to focus on in the up-coming weeks: not losing focus of the nutrition part. In the beginning I was all focused on what I was consuming, how many calories, etc, and documenting it all. I’ve still been conscientious of what I’m eating and making smart choices, but not being as diligent about keeping track of it all. I also need to keep working on my husband. His idea of a well-balanced meal is a Muscle Milk for breakfast, meal bars from the gas station for lunch, and a random assortment of string cheese, cereal, and bread for dinner. I’ve managed to change his dinners by actually preparing a meal, but I really don’t have much control on what he decides to have for breakfast or lunch. I’m hoping eventually, me ‘encouraging’ more well balanced meals will rub off on him. Bring on the next 5 weeks!

1 comment:

c2yhwi.blogspot.com said...

Bravo to you Amanda for persevering!
The best way to help your husband is to continue to be a good role model for him and educating him on what healthier choices look like. I look forward to cheering you on the next few weeks, encouraging and strategizing with you on how to add in the recommended 6 cups of fruits and vegetables every day for heart disease prevention. Yahoo!

Your partner in health,
Cindy Cohen RN
C2 Your Health LLC
Wellness Consultant
Health Coach